Big Island NELHA Tour
Friday, September 3 - Big Island NELHA TourThe Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawai'i Authority is a state agency which operates a unique and innovative ocean science and technology park in Kailua-Kona on the island of Hawai'i. NELHA's assets include office and laboratory facilities, infrastructure , pristine natural resources and leasable open land for use by tenant research, education and commercial projects. A dual-temperature seawater system that is the only one of its kind in the world sets NELHA apart from all other technology parks, and creates a prime setting for innovation and new industry development. For more information: www.nelha.org
- The Big Island presentation will begin at 12:30 p.m. and consist of a presentation on the history of the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawai'i Authority and an overview of projects and initiatives for Hawai'i County, followed by a tour of facility.
- The Hawaii Gateway Energy Center (HGEC) visitor complex, situated on the south coast of Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, serves the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii (NELH). It is the first building to be constructed on a 6.5 acre campus designed to house research, development, and demonstration facilities for energy and technological fields.
- Sopogy's Ke?hole Solar Power Plant: The world's first MicroCSP solar thermal plant is now supplying 500 kilowatts to HELCO's grid. The Big Island already gets more than 30 percent of its energy from clean renewable sources such as wind, solar and geothermal projects. The facility will reduce the need to import more than 2,000 barrels of oil annually and reduce carbon emissions by an estimated 6,000 tons over 30 years.
- Cellana was established in 2007 as a joint venture between Shell and HR BioPetroleum to develop technology for the sustainable and commercial production of biofuels and animal feed from algae. It's pilot facility at NELHA grows non-modified, marine microalgae species in a hybrid system taking the best of photo bioreactors and open-air ponds using Cellana's proprietary technology.
Friday, September 3 - Tour Schedule:
|12:30PM||Presentations on NELHA |
|1:30PM||Underground tour of Hawaii Gateway Energy Center's Seawater Air Conditioning system. |
|2:30PM||Tour of Sopogy's Keahole Solar Power plant |
|4:15PM||Tour of Cellana (algae to biofuels project). For more than 15, we will tour Cyanotech.|
|5:00PM||Q&A and Pau |
Ron Baird, CEO of NELHA
Jan War, Operations Manager of NELHA
Will Rolston, County of Hawaii, Energy Coordinator
Price $49.00 per person
- Tour includes light refreshments of coffee and snacks during presentations at Hawaii Gateway Energy Center
- Guests must arrange their own travel to and from Kona airport and transportation to NELHA.
- Deadline for reservation is August 25, 2010
To reserve your space, or for more information contact:
JUNE MATSUMOTO, Hawai`i Convention Center